The Seacoast Civic Dance Company (SCDC) and Performance Groups are comprised of auditioned dancers ranging in age from 10-18 years old. Founded in 1976 by NHAPA directors, the SCDC was established as a 501 © (3) non-profit, educational organization focused on providing a high-level dance education program coupled with multiple, professional performance opportunities.
The dance company is divided into three sub- groups:
- The Seacoast Civic Dance Company-advanced level intensive core curriculum. Members are at the highest level of interdisciplinary training.
- Performance Groups-intermediate/advanced level intensive core curriculum within discipline specific performing groups
- Junior Performance Groups-stepping stone to the Intermediate/Advanced level performance groups for younger students enrolled in an intensive core curriculum within specific performing groups
- Hip Hop
Company and Performance Group members are skilled and trained in a diverse curriculum of classes at NHAPA including, classical ballet, lyrical, contemporary, tap, jazz and hip-hop. In addition, company members participate in master classes, seminars, competitions, local and national performance venues including:
- Portsmouth’s Market Square Day and First Night,
- Prescott Park Arts Festival,
- Newburyport’s Yankee Homecoming
- Multiple Philanthropic Events (Diabetes Walk, Making Strides Walk, Macy;s Shop for a Cause, etc)
Nationally they have toured and performed at Boston Celtics Pre-game, FEDEX Orange Bowl, Walt Disney World, Sea World, Busch Gardens, Universal Studios, Disney Cruise Lines. In 2009, members will be performing at the Gator Bowl Half time show in Florida. In 1997, the troupe was awarded the President’s Cup for outstanding choreography and highest overall score at the DEA National Competition. In 2003, 2005, and most recently in 2012, the company traveled to Orlando to participate in the National Contest of Champions where they placed in the Top 5 (Top 2 in 2012) out a group of elite dance troupes from across the nation. At the 2005 DEA Boston regionals they received high scores in 3 divisions and several members received scholarships to the national convention.
One of the best ways to learn more about the company experience is to hear what our recent alumni have to say. Check it out in their own words: